- Fiber-Optic Technologies
- Apr 23, 2004
- Vivek Alwayn discusses in this chapter the increasing demand of optical-fiber and its wide spread applications ranging from global networks to desktop computers.
- Cisco Frame Relay Configurations
- Apr 30, 2004
- Jonathan Chin dicussess basic Frame Relay operations on Cisco routers in a router-based Frame Relay network.
- IEEE 802.1X: Practical Port Control for Switches
- Oct 4, 2002
- Wireless System Architecture: How Wireless Works
- Oct 15, 2004
- Apart from transmitting the information over the air, wireless networks are very much like wired networks. However, that seemingly small difference can lead to some very large problems if you don't understand the nuances of this medium. Read this chapter to find out how wireless networks work, and why they need to be administered differently from traditional, wired networks.
- Wireless LAN Fundamentals: Mobility
Jonathan Leary, Pejman Roshan
- Jan 9, 2004
- This sample chapter covers the characteristics of roaming, Layer 2 and 3 roaming, and an introduction to Mobile IP.
- Frame Relay for ICND Exam
- Aug 29, 2003
- Wendell Odom tells you what you need to know to ace the Frame Relay portion of the ICND Exam. In this sample chapter, he concentrates on Frame Relay protocols and configuration.
- Discovering Site-Specific Requirements for 802.11 Wireless Network Site Surveying and Installation
- Dec 10, 2004
- This chapter outlines the physical logictics of installing a wireless network into a building. Concerns regarding the architecture and layout of the building are addressed, so that you can plan appropriately.
- Developing "Deploying License-Free Wireless Wide-Area Networks"
- Jul 11, 2003
- Book Review: "Deploying Wireless WANs" and Interview with Jack Unger
- Mar 14, 2003
- ZigBee Wireless Security: A New Age Penetration Tester's Toolkit
- Jan 9, 2012
- Brad Bowers takes a closer look at the ZigBee protocol, some of the attacks that have been leveraged against it, and the security tools that penetration testers can use.
- Connecting Non-802.1X Devices to an Enterprise Network
- Sep 27, 2011
- Whether you're an administrator or just a user of a Wi-Fi network secured with WPA/WPA2-Enterprise, you can learn from Eric Geier how to get non-802.1X computers and devices onto your network.
- Set Up Multiple SSIDs and VLANs on a DD-WRT Router
- Jul 19, 2011
- DD-WRT is arguably the most popular firmware replacement or upgrade for select wireless routers. Eric Geier walks you through creating a second SSID, segregating it from the main SSID, making two of the LAN ports on the back of the router connect to just the new SSID, and leaving the other two LAN ports connected to the main SSID.
- Cisco Unified Wireless LAN Security Fundamentals
Jake Woodhams, Robert Marg, Jeff Smith
- Dec 3, 2010
- This chapter discusses the fundamentals of wireless LAN security in the context of the Cisco Unified Wireless Network (CUWN).
- Discovering the Upcoming Wi-Fi Direct Standard
- Aug 16, 2010
- See how you'll benefit from this new Wi-Fi standard. Eric Geier shows you how it compares with Bluetooth and the existing Wi-Fi ad-hoc networking. Plus you'll discover its downsides and negative impacts.
- WLAN Design: Range, Performance, and Roaming Considerations
- Aug 3, 2010
- This chapter provides insight and addresses important elements you should consider to avoid common problems when designing a wireless LAN.
- Recovering and Securing Your Wi-Fi Encryption Keys
- Jun 4, 2010
- Have you forgotten the WEP or WPA key or passphrase for your Wi-Fi? Eric Geier helps you discover how to recover or reset and secure your network password.
- Five Applications to Secure Your Wi-Fi Hotspot Connections
- May 13, 2010
- Don't risk eavesdroppers capturing your email, passwords, and other sensitive info! Eric Geier reviews five helpful apps that encrypt your wireless traffic.
- Moving to WPA/WPA2-Enterprise Wi-Fi Encryption
- Apr 9, 2010
- Wi-Fi networks in businesses should be using the Enterprise mode of WPA or WPA2 encryption. Eric Geier shows you how to move from the Personal (PSK) mode to the Enterprise (RADIUS) mode.
- Securing Your Wi-Fi Hotspot Sessions
- Mar 30, 2010
- Eric Geier shares tips to keep your email, documents, and computer safe while using Wi-Fi hotspots.
- Deploying a Fast and Stable Wireless Mesh Network
Lee Johnson, Mark L. Gress
- Dec 9, 2009
- This chapter provides practical tips and advice for deploying a fast and stable wireless mesh network.