Register your product to gain access to bonus material or receive a coupon.
Road to IP Telephony, The: How Cisco Systems Migrated from PBX to IP Telephony
- Your Price: $28.79
- List Price: $35.99
- About Watermarked eBooks
- Copyright 2004
- Pages: 408
- Edition: 1st
- eBook (Watermarked)
- ISBN-10: 1-58705-416-7
- ISBN-13: 978-1-58705-416-7
A complete IP Telephony migration planning guide
Includes Steps to Success Poster
- It's everyone's "must have." This is a reference book for the entire project team who works on the deployment of an IP Telephony solution.
- Take advantage of best practices. Includes more than 200 best practices, lessons learned, and tips for getting you through your IP Telephony deployment successfully.
- Minimize risk and learn from the mistakes of others. Read the list of the top 10 things that can go wrong during an IP Telephony deployment.
- Ask the right questions. Get the project team thinking and collaborating together with Stephanie's "Checklist of Questions to Ask the Project Team."
- Use proven planning tools. Work from sample checklists, templates, project plans, and workflow documents to guide your planning process.
- Keep the Steps to Success on the minds of your project team. Use the enclosed poster, which illustrates every major step associated with an IP Telephony deployment.
There is no better path to the successful implementation of a new technology than to follow in the experienced footsteps of an organization that has already been there. The Road to IP Telephony tells you how Cisco Systems successfully moved its own organization to a converged, enterprise-wide network. You will learn the implementation and operational processes, what worked, what didn't work, and how to develop your own successful methodology. After presenting this topic to hundreds of Cisco customers, including Fortune 500 companies, Stephanie Carhee consistently encountered the same question, "If I decide to move to IP Telephony, where do I begin and what can I do to ensure that I do it right the first time?" Although the needs of every enterprise are different, some things are universal; planning, communication, teamwork, and understanding your user's requirements are as important as technical expertise. The Road to IP Telephony shares with you everything you need to know about managing your deployment. It starts with where to begin, including what needs to be addressed before you even begin the planning process, to building your project team. Key best practices are also offered to help you set the project's pace and schedule, get your users on board, identify a migration strategy, develop a services and support strategy, and work toward the final PBX decommission.
"Cisco IT wants to share its implementation experience with Cisco customers and partners to aide in the deployment practices of new Cisco technologies. While conducting our own company-wide cutover, we learned a great deal about what to do and what not to do. This book shares our experiences." -Brad Boston, Senior Vice President and Chief Information Officer, Cisco Systems, Inc.
This volume is in the Network Business Series offered by Cisco Press. Books in this series provide IT executives, decision makers, and networking professionals with pertinent information on today's most important technologies and business strategies.
Table of Contents
1. A Cisco Evolution.
Operational Benefits of Cisco IP Telephony. ROI. Where It All Started. Cisco Architecture in the Beginning. Cisco Architecture Evolution. Summary.
2. Before You Begin.
Importance of a Cross-Functional Team. AVVID Tiger Team. The Four Project Tracks. Executive Management Sponsorship. Managing Change. Where Do You Begin? The Engineering Story. CallManager Today. Resources. Summary. Appendix 2-A: AVVID Tiger Team Roles and Responsibilities. Appendix 2-B: Project Planning Flowchart. Appendix 2-C: Voice of the Client Survey. Appendix 2-D: General Preimplementation Considerations Checklist.
3. The Migration Strategy.
Hold Planning Workshop. A Phased Approach. Optimize Project Pace and Schedule. The Communication Plan. Identify Business-Critical Phone Users. Converting "Executive Row". User Training. Identify Operational Policy Changes. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Resources. Summary. Appendix 3-A: Planning Workshop Template. Appendix 3-B: Sample Users Conversion Notice. Appendix 3-C: Phone Configuration Template. Appendix 3-D: Executive Row Checklist. Appendix 3-E: User Frequently Asked Questions.
Planning the Implementation: Steps to Success. Preparing the WAN. Provisioning the VLAN. Connecting to Voice Mail. Site Survey. The Implementation. Customer Service. Resources. Summary. Appendix 4-A: Project Planning Flowchart. Appendix 4-B: Implementation Planning Template. Appendix 4-C: Site Survey Template. Appendix 4-D: LAN Upgrade Test Procedures. Appendix 4-E: Implementation Checklist. Appendix 4-F: Retrofit Implementation Guide. Appendix 4-G: Cisco IP Phone Test Procedure. Appendix 4-H: IP Telephony Retrofit Efficiency Report. Appendix 4-I: IP Telephony Retrofit Project Gantt Chart. Appendix 4-J: Sample Project Plan. Appendix 4-K: Sample Project Schedule. Appendix 4-L: Project Risk Assessment Table.
5. Day 2 Handoff and Support.
In Mike's Own Words… The Support Team. The Support Process. The Support Tools. Power Backup. Serviceability-Five 9s. Support Frequently Asked Questions. Resources. Summary. Appendix 5-B: Cisco CallManager 3.2 Software Upgrade Checklist.
6. Final Piece of the Conversion.
But We're Not Done Yet. Change Management. Software Upgrades. Disaster Recovery. PBX Lease Returns. Vendor Rules of Engagement. Nonleased Equipment Disposal. Retrofit Cleanup. Preparing Your Network for the Future. Operate Phase. Optimize Phase. Cisco IP Communications Services and Support Programs. Lessons Learned. Resources. Summary.
7. Moving Forward: Continuing to Be Cisco's First and Best Customer.
Looking Back and Moving Forward. PBX Removal Complete. Cisco IP Contact Center Migration. Cisco Wireless LAN Migration. Maintaining Five-9s on the New Network. Cisco Unity Voice Mail Migration. Conclusion. Appendix 7-A: Stephanie's Checklist of Questions to Ask the Project Team.
Appendix A: Customer Concerns.
Other Things You Might Like
- Cisco DevNet Sandbox: Collaboration Labs LiveLessons
- Online Video $79.99
- CCNA Collaboration CICD 210-060 Official Cert Guide Premium Edition and Practice Test
- Premium Edition eBook $39.99
- End-to-End Quality of Service Network Design LiveLessons: QoS for Rich-Media and Cloud Networks
- Downloadable Video $199.99