- 2011 Collegiate Cyber Defense Challenge: Shaping the Cyber Warriors of Tomorrow
- May 2, 2011
- Brad Bowers provides an intriguing look into the 2011 Mid-Atlantic CCDC attack-and-defense competition for information technology students.
- 5 Steps to Building and Operating an Effective Security Operations Center (SOC)
- Dec 21, 2015
- Joseph Muniz, co-author of Security Operations Center: Building, Operating, and Maintaining Your SOC, provides a high-level overview of the steps involved in creating a security operations center to protect your organization's valuable data assets.
- A Student-Hacker Showdown at the Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition
- Mar 31, 2006
- Students-turned-IT managers faced off against experienced hackers at the Mid-Atlantic Regional Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition. Seth Fogie witnessed this real-world competition and reports on its unexpected twists, turns, and even drama.
- Analyzing MPLS VPN Security
Michael H. Behringer, Monique Morrow
- Oct 6, 2005
- VPN users have certain expectations and requirements for their VPN service. In a nutshell, they want their service to be both private and secure. In other words, they want their VPN to be as secure as with dedicated circuits while gaining the scalability benefits of a shared infrastructure. Both concepts, of privacy and security, are not black and white, and need to be defined for a real world implementation. This chapter introduces you to VPN MPLS security requirements.
- Attacking and Defending the Internet with Border Gateway Protocol (BGP)
- Aug 25, 2008
- Carolyn Meinel explains how sysadmins can take advantage of resources offered by several organizations to detect and defeat BGP problems.
- Attacking the Spanning Tree Protocol
Eric Vyncke, Christopher Paggen
- Jun 4, 2008
- Conducting STP attacks is now within the reach of a wide population, thanks to the availability of point-and-shoot attacks tools. Fortunately, simple features widely available on a range of switches, such as BPDU-guard, provide effective measures against spanning-tree–based exploits.
- Authentication and Authorization Policies: Using Cisco Identity Services Engine in a BYOD World
Jamey Heary, Aaron Woland
- Jun 25, 2013
- This chapter examines the relationship between authentication and authorization and how to build policies for each, describing a few common Authentication Policies and Authorization Policies to help you see how to work with these policy constructs.
- Basic Cisco IOS Software and Catalyst 3550 Series Security
Dmitry Bokotey, Andrew Mason, Raymond Morrow
- Jul 25, 2003
- Become comfortable with basic Cisco IOS Software and Catalyst 3550 security features with an introduction to password management, disabling unnecessary services, setting up secure HTTP and NTP services, and SSH.
- Broadband Routers and Firewalls
Ido Dubrawsky, Wes Noonan
- Nov 17, 2006
- Building a Human Firewall: Raising Awareness to Protect Against Social Engineering
- Oct 27, 2006
- Thierry Wohnlich proposes an alternate view of information security awareness, a view that takes into consideration the reasons behind the need for awareness, and discusses the role of the individuals in relation to information technology.
- Building Cisco IDS 3.0(3) Custom Signatures
- Feb 15, 2002
- Tuning your IDS to meet your specific network requirements is crucial for optimum protection of your network, as discussed in this article by Earl Carter.
- Capturing Network Traffic for the Catalyst 6000 IDS Module
- Feb 15, 2002
- With the addition of the Catalyst 6000 IDS Module, you can integrate your Cisco IDS directly into your network’s infrastructure, as discussed by expert Earl Carter.
- CCDC and the Tale of the Insider Threat
- May 24, 2010
- Brad Bowers discusses the value of including the threat of insider attacks in Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition (CCDC) events.
- CCSP Cisco Secure PIX Firewall Advanced Exam: CiscoWorks Management Center for Firewalls
Greg Bastien, Earl Carter, Christian Degu
- Jan 7, 2005
- To help you prepare for the CCSP Cisco Secure PIX Firewall Advanced Exam, this chapter provides information on using CiscoWorks with Firewall MC.
- CCSP Cisco Secure VPN Exam: Remote Access Configuration
John Roland, Mark Newcomb
- May 23, 2003
- CCSP CSI Exam Certification: SAFE IP Telephony Design
Ido Dubrawsky, Paul Grey
- Dec 30, 2004
- This chapter will help you prepare for the CCSP CSI Exam, with a focus on SAFE IP Telephony Design. Sample questions are included to help you study.
- CCSP Self-Study: Advanced AAA Security for Cisco Router Networks
- May 21, 2004
- For CCSP candidates, John Roland discusses Cisco Secure ACS 3.0 for Windows 2000/NT Servers, Cisco Secure ACS for UNIX, and the security services of TACACS+, RADIUS, and Kerberos.
- Cisco AAA Identity Management Security: Getting Familiar with ACS 5.1
Brandon J. Carroll, Premdeep Banga, Vivek Santuka
- Feb 2, 2011
- ACS 5.1 has a completely different user interface from ACS 4.2. Throughout the course of this chapter you will become familiar with the GUI and know where different functions are located.
- Cisco ASA Access Lists Concepts and Configuration
- Jun 27, 2013
- Sean Wilkins review Cisco’s Adaptive Security Appliance (ASA) implementation of access control lists (ACL or access list). He also covers ASA access list types, what they control, and a basic review of what the configuration syntax is to use them.
- Cisco ASA Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting Network Security Services
Jazib Frahim, Omar Santos
- Jan 28, 2010
- This chapter provides an explanation of the configuration and troubleshooting of Cisco ASA-supported authentication, authorization, and accounting network security services.