Register your product to gain access to bonus material or receive a coupon.
Scaling Networks Companion Guide
- Sorry, this book is no longer in print.
- Your Price: $48.00
- List Price: $53.33
- Includes EPUB, MOBI, and PDF
- About eBook Formats
This eBook includes the following formats, accessible from your Account page after purchase:
EPUB The open industry format known for its reflowable content and usability on supported mobile devices.
MOBI The eBook format compatible with the Amazon Kindle and Amazon Kindle applications.
PDF The popular standard, used most often with the free Adobe® Reader® software.
This eBook requires no passwords or activation to read. We customize your eBook by discreetly watermarking it with your name, making it uniquely yours.
• Portable, desk reference for take-home study and reference anytime, anywhere.
• Aligns to the online course chapters. Provides students with the only authorized, full-featured textbook for the Cisco Networking Academy course
• Book-based pedagogy that serves as additional reinforcement in helping the student learn the topics covered in the course.
- Copyright 2014
- Dimensions: 8" x 9-1/8"
- Pages: 640
- Edition: 1st
- ISBN-10: 1-58713-328-8
- ISBN-13: 978-1-58713-328-2
Scaling Networks Companion Guide is the official supplemental textbook for the Scaling Networks course in the Cisco® CCNA® Academy®
This course describes the architecture, components, and operations of routers and switches in a large and complex network. You will learn how to configure routers and switches for advanced functionality. By the end of this course, you will be able to configure and troubleshoot routers and switches and resolve common issues with OSPF, EIGRP, STP, and VTP in both IPv4 and IPv6 networks. You will also develop the knowledge and skills needed to implement DHCP and DNS operations in a network.
The Companion Guide is designed as a portable desk reference to use anytime, anywhere to reinforce the material from the course and organize your time.
The book’s features help you focus on important concepts to succeed in this course:
- Chapter objectives—Review core concepts by answering the focus questions listed at the beginning of each chapter.
- Key terms—Refer to the lists of networking vocabulary introduced and highlighted in context in each chapter.
- Glossary—Consult the comprehensive Glossary with over 180 terms.
- Summary of Activities and Labs—Maximize your study time with this complete list of all associated practice exercises at the end of each chapter.
- Check Your Understanding—Evaluate your readiness with the end-of-chapter questions that match the style of questions you see in the online course quizzes. The answer key explains each answer.
Related Title: Scaling Networks Lab Manual
- Interactive Activities—Reinforce your understanding of topics with all the different exercises from the online course identified throughout the book with this icon.
- Videos—Watch the videos embedded within the online course.
- Packet Tracer Activities—Explore and visualize networking concepts using Packet Tracer exercises interspersed throughout the chapters.
- Hands-on Labs—Work through allthe course labs and Class Activities that are included in the course and published in the separate Lab Manual.
Online Sample Chapter
Download the sample pages (includes Chapters 1-3 and Index)
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Introduction to Scaling Networks 1
Key Terms 1
Introduction (22.214.171.124) 3
Implementing a Network Design (1.1) 3
Hierarchical Network Design (1.1.1) 3
The Need to Scale the Network (126.96.36.199) 3
Enterprise Business Devices (188.8.131.52) 5
Hierarchical Network Design (184.108.40.206) 6
Cisco Enterprise Architecture (220.127.116.11) 7
Failure Domains (18.104.22.168) 9
Expanding the Network (1.1.2) 11
Design for Scalability (22.214.171.124) 11
Planning for Redundancy (126.96.36.199) 12
Increasing Bandwidth (188.8.131.52) 13
Expanding the Access Layer (184.108.40.206) 14
Fine-tuning Routing Protocols (220.127.116.11) 15
Selecting Network Devices (1.2) 18
Switch Hardware (1.2.1) 18
Switch Platforms (18.104.22.168) 18
Port Density (22.214.171.124) 21
Forwarding Rates (126.96.36.199) 22
Power over Ethernet (188.8.131.52) 23
Multilayer Switching (184.108.40.206) 25
Router Hardware (1.2.2) 26
Router Requirements (220.127.116.11) 26
Cisco Routers (18.104.22.168) 28
Router Hardware (22.214.171.124) 29
Managing Devices (1.2.3) 30
Managing IOS Files and Licensing (126.96.36.199) 30
In-Band Versus Out-of-Band Management (188.8.131.52) 30
Basic Router CLI Commands (184.108.40.206) 31
Basic Router show Commands (220.127.116.11) 34
Basic Switch CLI Commands (18.104.22.168) 39
Basic Switch show Commands (22.214.171.124) 40
Summary (1.3) 44
Class Activities 45
Packet Tracer Activities 45
Check Your Understanding Questions 46
Chapter 2 LAN Redundancy 49
Key Terms 49
Introduction (126.96.36.199) 51
Spanning Tree Concepts (2.1) 52