Register your product to gain access to bonus material or receive a coupon.
Switched Networks Companion Guide
- Sorry, this book is no longer in print.
- Your Price: $48.00
- List Price: $53.33
- Includes EPUB, MOBI, and PDF
- About eBook Formats
This eBook includes the following formats, accessible from your Account page after purchase:
EPUB The open industry format known for its reflowable content and usability on supported mobile devices.
MOBI The eBook format compatible with the Amazon Kindle and Amazon Kindle applications.
PDF The popular standard, used most often with the free Adobe® Reader® software.
This eBook requires no passwords or activation to read. We customize your eBook by discreetly watermarking it with your name, making it uniquely yours.
• Portable, desk reference for take-home study and reference anytime, anywhere.
• Aligns to the online course chapters. Provides students with the only authorized, full-featured textbook for the Cisco Networking Academy course
• Book-based pedagogy that serves as additional reinforcement in helping the student learn the topics covered in the course.
- Copyright 2014
- Dimensions: 8" x 9-1/8"
- Pages: 552
- Edition: 1st
- ISBN-10: 1-58713-329-6
- ISBN-13: 978-1-58713-329-9
Switched Networks Companion Guide is the official supplemental textbook for the Switched Networks course in the Cisco® Networking Academy® CCNA® Routing and Switching curriculum.
This course describes the architecture, components, and operations of a converged switched network. You will learn about the hierarchical network design model and how to configure a switch for basic and advanced functionality. By the end of this course, you will be able to troubleshoot and resolve common issues with Virtual LANs and inter-VLAN routing in a converged network. You will also develop the knowledge and skills needed to implement a WLAN in a small-to-medium network.
The Companion Guide is designed as a portable desk reference to use anytime, anywhere to reinforce the material from the course and organize your time.
The book’s features help you focus on important concepts to succeed in this course:
- Chapter objectives–Review core concepts by answering the focus questions listed at the beginning of each chapter.
- Key terms–Refer to the lists of networking vocabulary introduced and highlighted in context in each chapter.
- Glossary–Consult the comprehensive Glossary more than 300 terms.
- Summary of Activities and Labs–Maximize your study time with this complete list of all associated practice exercises at the end of each chapter.
- Check Your Understanding–Evaluate your readiness with the end-of-chapter questions that match the style of questions you see in the online course quizzes. The answer key explains each answer.
Switched Networks Lab Manual
- How To–Look for this icon to study the steps you need to learn to perform certain tasks.
- Interactive Activities–Reinforce your understanding of topics with all the different exercises from the online course identified throughout the book with this icon.
- Videos–Watch the videos embedded within the online course.
- Packet Tracer Activities–Explore and visualize networking concepts using Packet Tracer exercises interspersed throughout the chapters.
- Hands-on Labs–Work through all the course labs and Class Activities that are included in the course and published in the separate Lab Manual.
Online Sample Chapter
Download the sample pages (includes Chapters 1-3 and Index)
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Introduction to Switched Networks 1
Key Terms 1
Introduction (126.96.36.199) 2
LAN Design (1.1) 3
Converged Networks (1.1.1) 3
Growing Complexity of Networks (188.8.131.52) 3
Elements of a Converged Network (184.108.40.206) 5
Cisco Borderless Network (220.127.116.11) 6
Hierarchy in the Borderless Switched Network (18.104.22.168) 7
Access, Distribution, and Core Layers (22.214.171.124) 9
Switched Networks (1.1.2) 11
Role of Switched Networks (126.96.36.199) 12
Form Factors (188.8.131.52) 13
Traffic Flow (184.108.40.206) 15
Multilayer Switching (220.127.116.11) 16
Switch Features (1.1.3) 17
Port Density (18.104.22.168) 17
Forwarding Rates (22.214.171.124) 19
Power over Ethernet (126.96.36.199) 19
Cisco Catalyst Switch Breakdown (188.8.131.52) 21
The Switched Environment (1.2) 23
Frame Forwarding (1.2.1) 23
Switching as a General Concept in Networking and Telecommunications (184.108.40.206) 23
Dynamically Populating a Switch MAC Address Table (220.127.116.11) 25
Switch Forwarding Methods (18.104.22.168) 28
Store-and-Forward Switching (22.214.171.124) 29
Cut-Through Switching (126.96.36.199) 30
Switching Domains (1.2.2) 31
Collision Domains (188.8.131.52) 32
Broadcast Domains (184.108.40.206) 32
Alleviating Network Congestion (220.127.116.11) 33
Summary (1.3) 35
Class Activities 37
Packet Tracer Activities 37
Check Your Understanding Questions 37
Chapter 2 Basic Switching Concepts and Configuration 41
Key Terms 41
Introduction (18.104.22.168) 42
Basic Switch Configuration (2.1) 43
Configure a Switch with Initial Settings (2.1.1) 43
Switch Boot Sequence (22.214.171.124) 43