WLAN Organizations and Regulations
You should be familiar with the following WLAN organizations and regulations:
- FCC (Federal Communications Commission), www.fcc.gov: Regulates the use of wireless devices in the United States.
- ETSI (European Telecommunications Standards Institute), www.etsi.org: Chartered to produce common standards in Europe.
- IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers), www.ieee.org: Creates and maintains operational standards.
- Wi-Fi Alliance, www.wi-fi.com: Promotes and tests for WLAN interoperability.
- WLANA (WLAN Association), www.wlana.org: Educates and raises consumer awareness regarding WLANs.
- CCX (Cisco Compatible Extensions): The CCX specification is for makers of 802.11 wireless LAN chips to ensure compliance with the Cisco proprietary WLAN protocols. For example, Cisco Lightweight Extensible Authentication Protocol (LEAP) and Extensible Authentication Protocol-Flexible Authentication via Secure Tunneling (EAP-FAST) are part of CCX.