- Cisco Networking Academy's Introduction to VLANs
- Apr 7, 2014
- This chapter will cover how to configure, manage, and troubleshoot VLANs and VLAN trunks. It will also examine security considerations and strategies relating to VLANs and trunks, and best practices for VLAN design.
- Cisco Networking Academy's Introduction to Switched Networks
- Apr 3, 2014
- This chapter begins an examination of the flow of traffic in a modern network. It examines some of the current network design models and the way LAN switches build forwarding tables and use the MAC address information to efficiently switch data between hosts.
- Cisco Networking Academy's Introduction to Basic Switching Concepts and Configuration
- Mar 31, 2014
- This chapter examines some of the basic switch configuration settings required to maintain a secure, available, switched LAN environment.
- Cisco Networking Academy's Introduction to Static Routing
- Mar 27, 2014
- This chapter explains the types of static routes as well as the advantages and disadvantages of each type. It also addresses routing configuration and troubleshooting.
- Cisco Networking Academy's Introduction to Routing Dynamically
- Mar 24, 2014
- This chapter explains multiple routing protocols (particularly dynamic routing protocols) and describes their relative strengths and weaknesses. It also shows how to read a routing table easily and interpret the IPv6 routing information listed within it.
- Cisco Networking Academy's Introduction to Routing Concepts
- Mar 20, 2014
- This chapter introduces and explains the primary functions and features of a router and explains the process for connecting and configuring devices to the router. It continues by describing the process by which routers manage packets, determine data paths, and build routing tables.
- An Overview of Cisco IOS Versions and Naming
- Jun 28, 2013
- This article covers the different Cisco IOS releases and naming structures and aims to give a single location where network engineers can look to figure out what the different releases mean.
- Cisco IOS Image Concepts and Configuration
- Jun 28, 2013
- Cisco network engineers should know how to correctly perform a router image update/upgrade. This article covers the different image types that exist on most Cisco equipment, Cisco’s image-naming structure, and how to perform image updates/upgrades.
- Cisco IOS Image Security
- Jun 28, 2013
- This article discusses Cisco IOS image types and provides methods to ensure that the images are complete and have not been modified. It also briefly covers digital signatures that are possible with newer Cisco hardware.
- Protecting Your Network from the Wi-Fi Protected Setup Security Hole
- Mar 12, 2012
- Even if you’ve encrypted and secured your wireless network with Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA or WPA2), a security hole affecting most wireless routers may make it fairly easy for those with the right tools to hack your network and connect. Eric Geier shows how to prevent this and protect your network.
- Network Security First-Step: Firewalls
- Feb 8, 2012
- This chapter dissects a firewall’s duties to understand what makes a firewall operate and how it does its job.
- Creating a Hotspot Gateway with RouterOS
- Nov 2, 2009
- Eric Geier shows how to set up the integrated hotspot gateway with RouterOS.
- Creating a VPN Server with RouterOS
- Oct 27, 2009
- Eric Geier continues his RouterOS series by discussing its VPN capabilities
- Supercharging Your Cheap Router with Enterprise Features
- Oct 5, 2009
- Did you know you can replace the firmware on your router? Eric Geier describes the highs and lows of aftermarket firmware projects.
- Turn an Old PC into a LAN Server with RouterOS, Part 2
- Sep 28, 2009
- Eric Geier concludes his two-part tutorial on getting a RouterOS machine up and running on a spare PC.
- IP Routing Use Cases
- Sep 22, 2009
- This chapter discusses the capabilities of the Cisco ASR 1000 series router family and then reviews how those strengths can be used to address relevant problems.
- Turn an Old PC into a LAN Server with RouterOS, Part 1
- Sep 21, 2009
- Eric Geier shows you how to get an enterprise router at a fraction of the cost with the MikroTik RouterOS software that you can load onto an old PC.
- Cisco LAN Switching Configuration : Server Load Balancing (SLB)
David Hucaby, Stephen McQuerry
- Jun 24, 2009
- This chapter covers the steps required to load balance traffic to one or more server farms and firewall farms, and also explains the steps needed to define probes that test server and firewall farm functionality.
- Cisco IOS XR Security
- Jun 15, 2009
- This chapter discusses the security aspects of the Cisco IOS XR operating system.
- Five Ways to Increase Your Wi-Fi Network's Range
- May 15, 2009
- Eric Geier shows ways to extend your wireless network, from things you can do without spending a dime to adding additional APs.