- 5 Steps to Building and Operating an Effective Security Operations Center (SOC)
- Dec 21, 2015
- Joseph Muniz, co-author of Security Operations Center: Building, Operating, and Maintaining Your SOC, provides a high-level overview of the steps involved in creating a security operations center to protect your organization's valuable data assets.
- Overview of Security Operations Center Technologies
- Dec 15, 2015
- This chapter from Security Operations Center: Building, Operating, and Maintaining your SOC focuses on the technology and services associated with most modern SOC environments, including an overview of best practices for data collection, how data is processed so that it can be used for security analysis, vulnerability management, and some operation recommendations.
- Five Crucial Commands for Verifying Cisco Switch Network Status and Operational State
- Aug 11, 2015
- A network engineer needs to be conscious of the state of the network and every device connected to it. But when your network consists of multiple devices connected at a distance, how can you test connections and keep on top of network performance? Sean Wilkins, co-author of CCNA Routing and Switching 200-120 Network Simulator, discusses five basic commands you need to know and use correctly to maintain your Cisco network.
- Nine Switch Commands Every Cisco Network Engineer Needs to Know
- Aug 4, 2015
- Sean Wilkins, co-author of CCNA Routing and Switching 200-120 Network Simulator, provides a quick overview of nine commands that are essential for working with Cisco networks, whether or not your goal is certification.
- Network Switching Methods: Store-and-Forward Versus Cut-Through
- Jul 28, 2015
- Sean Wilkins, co-author of CCNA Routing and Switching 200-120 Network Simulator, believes every network engineer should understand the differences between the two major switching methods employed in computer networks. This overview discusses the two methods from their initial deployments to modern usage.
- Packet Switching Methods on Cisco Networks
- Jul 14, 2015
- Sean Wilkins, co-author of CCNA Routing and Switching 200-120 Network Simulator, teaches new networking students the basics they need to know about packet switching on Cisco networks. Experienced network engineers will find this article a useful refresher course on Cisco technology.
- VLAN Communications: Making Networks Talk to Each Other
- Jul 7, 2015
- Sean Wilkins, co-author of CCNA Routing and Switching 200-120 Network Simulator, discusses routing and communications options for virtual networks in various configurations.
- Network Loop Prevention with the Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol (RSTP)
- Jun 30, 2015
- Sean Wilkins, co-author of CCNA Routing and Switching 200-120 Network Simulator, examines the differences between the Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) and the more modern Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol (RSTP).
- Wireless LAN Implications, Problems, and Solutions
- Jun 15, 2015
- When designing and supporting a WLAN, however, you must be aware of potential implications, such as security vulnerabilities, radio signal interference, multipath propagation, and other issues. This chapter from Designing and Deploying 802.11 Wireless Networks explains the impacts of these problems and introduces some ways to resolve them.
- IP Routing on Cisco IOS, IOS XE, and IOS XR: How a Router Works
- Jan 2, 2015
- This chapter from IP Routing on Cisco IOS, IOS XE, and IOS XR: An Essential Guide to Understanding and Implementing IP Routing Protocols explains how a router performs IP routing and IP packet forwarding between different network segments.
- The Art of Network Architecture: Applying Modularity
- May 12, 2014
- This chapter focuses on why we use specific design patterns to implement modularity, discussing specifically why we should use hierarchical design to create a modular network design, why we should use overlay networks to create virtualization, and the results of virtualization as a mechanism to provide modularity.
- Cisco Networking Academy Connecting Networks Companion Guide: Hierarchical Network Design
- May 9, 2014
- This chapter introduces network design concepts, principles, models, and architectures. It covers the benefits that are obtained by using a systematic design approach.
- Cisco Networking Academy Connecting Networks Companion Guide: Point-to-Point Connections
- May 8, 2014
- This chapter covers the terms, technology, and protocols used in serial connections, introducing the High-Level Data Link Control (HDLC) and Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP).
- Cisco Networking Academy Connecting Networks Companion Guide: Connecting to the WAN
- May 7, 2014
- Different technologies are used for WANs than for LANs. This chapter introduces WAN standards, technologies, and purposes. It covers selecting the appropriate WAN technologies, services, and devices to meet the changing business requirements of an evolving enterprise.
- Cisco Networking Academy's Introduction to Scaling Networks
- Apr 17, 2014
- This chapter introduces strategies that can be used to systematically design a highly functional network, such as the hierarchical network design model, the Cisco Enterprise Architecture, and appropriate device selections.
- Cisco Networking Academy's Introduction to VLANs
- Apr 7, 2014
- This chapter will cover how to configure, manage, and troubleshoot VLANs and VLAN trunks. It will also examine security considerations and strategies relating to VLANs and trunks, and best practices for VLAN design.
- Cisco Networking Academy's Introduction to Switched Networks
- Apr 3, 2014
- This chapter begins an examination of the flow of traffic in a modern network. It examines some of the current network design models and the way LAN switches build forwarding tables and use the MAC address information to efficiently switch data between hosts.
- Cisco Networking Academy's Introduction to Basic Switching Concepts and Configuration
- Mar 31, 2014
- This chapter examines some of the basic switch configuration settings required to maintain a secure, available, switched LAN environment.
- Cisco Networking Academy's Introduction to Static Routing
- Mar 27, 2014
- This chapter explains the types of static routes as well as the advantages and disadvantages of each type. It also addresses routing configuration and troubleshooting.
- Cisco Networking Academy's Introduction to Routing Dynamically
- Mar 24, 2014
- This chapter explains multiple routing protocols (particularly dynamic routing protocols) and describes their relative strengths and weaknesses. It also shows how to read a routing table easily and interpret the IPv6 routing information listed within it.