Register your product to gain access to bonus material or receive a coupon.
Network Fundamentals, CCNA Exploration Companion Guide
- Sorry, this book is no longer in print.
- Copyright 2008
- Edition: 1st
- ISBN-10: 1-58713-208-7
- ISBN-13: 978-1-58713-208-7
Network Fundamentals, CCNA Exploration Companion Guide is the official supplemental textbook for the Network Fundamentals course in the Cisco® Networking Academy® CCNA® Exploration curriculum version 4. The course, the first of four in the new curriculum, is based on a top-down approach to networking. The Companion Guide, written and edited by Networking Academy instructors, is designed as a portable desk reference to use anytime, anywhere. The book’s features reinforce the material in the course to help you focus on important concepts and organize your study time for exams.
New and improved features help you study and succeed in this course:
- Chapter objectives—Review core concepts by answering the focus questions listed at the beginning of each chapter.
- Key terms—Refer to the updated lists of networking vocabulary introduced and highlighted in context in each chapter.
- Glossary—Consult the comprehensive glossary with more than 250 terms.
- Check Your Understanding questions and answer key—Evaluate your readiness with the updated end-of-chapter questions that match the style of questions you see on the online course quizzes. The answer key explains each answer.
- Challenge questions and activities—Strive to ace more challenging review questions and activities designed to prepare you for the complex styles of questions you might see on the CCNA exam. The answer key explains each answer.
How To—Look for this icon to study the steps you need to learn to perform certain tasks.
Packet Tracer Activities— Explore networking concepts in activities interspersed throughout some chapters using
Packet Tracer v4.1 developed by Cisco. The files for these activities are on the accompanying CD-ROM.
Also available for the Network Fundamentals Course
Network Fundamentals, CCNA Exploration Labs and Study Guide
The CD-ROM provides many useful tools and information to support your education:
- Packet Tracer Activity exercise files v4.1
- VLSM Subnetting Chart
- Structured Cabling Exploration Supplement
- Taking Notes: a .txt file of the chapter objectives
- A Guide to Using a Networker’s Journal booklet
- IT Career Information
- Tips on Lifelong Learning in Networking
This book is part of the Cisco Networking Academy Series from Cisco Press®. The products in this series support and complement the Cisco Networking Academy online curriculum.
Downloadable Sample Chapter
Download the sample pages (includes Chapter 3 and Index)
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Living in a Network-Centric World
Communicating in a Network-Centric World
Networks Supporting the Way We Live
Examples of Today’s Popular Communication Tools
Networks Supporting the Way We Learn
Networks Supporting the Way We Work
Networks Supporting the Way We Play
Communication: An Essential Part of Our Lives
What Is Communication?
Quality of Communication
The Network as a Platform
Communicating over Networks
Elements of a Network
The Architecture of the Internet
The Network Architecture
Fault-Tolerant Network Architecture
Scalable Network Architecture
Providing Quality of Service
Providing Network Security
Trends in Networking
Where Is It All Going?
Networking Career Opportunities
Activities and Labs
Check Your Understanding
Challenge Questions and Activities
To Learn More
Chapter 2 Communicating over the Network
The Platform for Communications
The Elements of Communication
Communicating the Messages
Components of the Network
End Devices and Their Role on the Network
Intermediary Devices and Their Role on the Network
LANs, WANs, and Internetworks
The Internet: A Network of Networks
Rules That Govern Communications
Protocol Suites and Industry Standards
Interaction of Protocols
Using Layered Models
The Benefits of a Layered Model
Protocol and Reference Models
Protocol Data Units and Encapsulation
Download the introduction
Other Things You Might Like
- Cisco Certified Support Technician CCST Networking 100-150 Official Cert Guide Premium Edition and Practice Test
- Premium Edition eBook $47.99