Register your product to gain access to bonus material or receive a coupon.
Storage Area Network Fundamentals
- Sorry, this book is no longer in print.
Click on 'Quotes' to see what people are saying about this book.
- Copyright 2002
- Edition: 1st
- Premium Website
- ISBN-10: 1-58705-065-X
- ISBN-13: 978-1-58705-065-7
A guide to planning, implementing, managing, and using storage area networks to increase the efficiency of your network infrastructure
- Gain in-depth coverage of SAN fundamentals, topologies, implementation and management techniques, and products
- Build and sharpen your troubleshooting skills for data-mining, online transaction processing, imaging, data warehousing, and other highly data-intensive applications
- Understand how to implement the Fibre Channel and iSCSI protocols, which are key to any SAN solution
- Learn current industry implementation and application standards, as well as future advances
During the last decade, a multitude of changes in computing technology and the globalization of business through the Internet have resulted in a tremendous growth in storage requirements. This has forced many organizations around the world to reassess the way they view their storage environment. Many applications, such as e-commerce, imaging, data warehousing, Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), and Customer Relationship Management (CRM), fill storage media quickly. Data accessibility and availability for these applications has to be fast and efficient. Clearly, the ever-increasing information access requirements have had a profound effect on most data centers. As a result, many organizations are searching for cost-effective ways to ensure high data availability and reliability.
Storage Area Network Fundamentals presents the benefits of storage area networks (SANs) to corporate users and enables them to deploy SAN technology effectively. Designed as an introduction to SANs, Storage Area Network Fundamentals develops an understanding of SAN basics and shows how to plan, implement, and manage a SAN. This book covers the topologies, protocols, and products required to implement and manage efficient SANs.
Online Sample Chapter
Table of Contents
(NOTE: Each chapter concludes with a Summary.)
1. Networking and Storage Concepts.
Basic Networking Concepts and Topologies. OSI Reference Model. Common Network Devices. Network Topologies. MAC Standards. The Need for Storage Networks. Storage Devices and Techniques. NAS and SAN. SAN Standard Organizations.
2. Introduction to Storage Area Networks.
Evolution and Benefits of SANs. SAN Components and Building Blocks. Data Access over SANs.
3. Fibre Channel Basics.
Overview of Fibre Channel Technology. Fibre Channel Ports. Fibre Channel Topologies. Fibre Channel Layers. Classes of Service.
4. Fibre Channel Products.
HBAs. Fibre Channel Connectors. Hubs. Switches. Bridges. Routers. Storage Devices.
5. Fibre Channel Cabling.
Copper-Based Cabling. Fiber-Optic Cabling.
6. SAN Topologies.
Point-to-Point Topology. FC-AL Topology. Switched Fabric Topology.
7. Designing and Building a SAN.
SAN Design Considerations. Designing a SAN. Constructing a SAN. SAN Best Practices.
8. Implementing SAN Security.
General Security Guidelines. Securing a SAN. Securing Business Environments.
9. Problem Isolation and Management of SANs.
Isolating and Troubleshooting Problems. Managing SANs. Disaster Management.
10. iSCSI Technology.
Emergence of iSCSI Technology. iSCSI Concepts. iSCSI Design Considerations and Security Requirements.
11. Future of SANs.
The Need for Change. SAN Technology Development. Non-SAN Technologies.
Appendix A. RAID Technology and Fibre Channel Vendors.
Download - 176 KB -- Index
Other Things You Might Like
- Transforming Campus Networks to Intent-Based Networking
- eBook (Watermarked) $47.99