Register your product to gain access to bonus material or receive a coupon.
Routing and Switching Essentials Companion Guide
- Sorry, this book is no longer in print.
- Your Price: $48.00
- List Price: $53.33
- Includes EPUB, MOBI, and PDF
- About eBook Formats
This eBook includes the following formats, accessible from your Account page after purchase:
EPUB The open industry format known for its reflowable content and usability on supported mobile devices.
MOBI The eBook format compatible with the Amazon Kindle and Amazon Kindle applications.
PDF The popular standard, used most often with the free Adobe® Reader® software.
This eBook requires no passwords or activation to read. We customize your eBook by discreetly watermarking it with your name, making it uniquely yours.
• Portable, desk reference for take-home study and reference anytime, anywhere.
• Aligns to the online course chapters. Provides students with the only authorized, full-featured textbook for the Cisco Networking Academy course
• Book-based pedagogy that serves as additional reinforcement in helping the student learn the topics covered in the course.
- Copyright 2014
- Dimensions: 8" x 9-1/8"
- Pages: 864
- Edition: 1st
- ISBN-10: 1-58713-318-0
- ISBN-13: 978-1-58713-318-3
Routing and Switching Essentials Companion Guide is the official supplemental textbook for the Routing and Switching Essentials course in the Cisco® Networking Academy® CCNA® Routing and Switching curriculum.
This course describes the architecture, components, and operations of routers and switches in a small network. You learn how to configure a router and a switch for basic functionality. By the end of this course, you will be able to configure and troubleshoot routers and switches and resolve common issues with RIPv1, RIPv2, single-area and multi-area OSPF, virtual LANs, and inter-VLAN routing in both IPv4 and IPv6 networks.
The Companion Guide is designed as a portable desk reference to use anytime, anywhere to reinforce the material from the course and organize your time.
The book’s features help you focus on important concepts to succeed in this course:
- Chapter objectives–Review core concepts by answering the focus questions listed at the beginning of each chapter.
- Key terms–Refer to the lists of networking vocabulary introduced and highlighted in context in each chapter.
- Glossary–Consult the comprehensive Glossary with more than 200 terms.
- Summary of Activities and Labs–Maximize your study time with this complete list of all associated practice exercises at the end of each chapter.
- Check Your Understanding–Evaluate your readiness with the end-of-chapter questions that match the style of questions you see in the online course quizzes. The answer key explains each answer.
Routing and Switching Essentials Lab Manual
How To–Look for this icon to study the steps you need to learn to perform certain tasks.
Interactive Activities–Reinforce your understanding of topics by doing all the exercises from the online course identified throughout the book with this icon.
Videos–Watch the videos embedded within the online course.
Packet Tracer Activities–Explore and visualize networking concepts using Packet Tracer exercises interspersed throughout the chapters.
Hands-on Labs–Work through all the course labs and additional Class Activities that are included in the course and published in the separate Lab Manual.
Please download chapters 1-3 from the Companion Guide here
Online Sample Chapters
Download the sample pages (includes Chapters 1-3 and Index)
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Introduction to Switched Networks 1
Key Terms 1
Introduction (126.96.36.199) 2
LAN Design (1.1) 2
Converged Networks (1.1.1) 3
Growing Complexity of Networks (188.8.131.52) 3
Elements of a Converged Network (184.108.40.206) 4
Borderless Switched Networks (220.127.116.11) 5
Hierarchy in the Borderless Switched Network (18.104.22.168) 6
Core Distribution Access (22.214.171.124) 7
Switched Networks (1.1.2) 10
Role of Switched Networks (126.96.36.199) 10
Form Factors (188.8.131.52) 11
The Switched Environment (1.2) 14
Frame Forwarding (1.2.1) 14
Switching as a General Concept in Networking and Telecommunications (184.108.40.206) 14
Dynamically Populating a Switch MAC Address Table (220.127.116.11) 15
Switch Forwarding Methods (18.104.22.168) 19
Store-and-Forward Switching (22.214.171.124) 20
Cut-Through Switching (126.96.36.199) 21
Switching Domains (1.2.2) 22
Collision Domains (188.8.131.52) 22
Broadcast Domains (184.108.40.206) 23
Alleviating Network Congestion (220.127.116.11) 25
Summary (1.3) 26
Class Activities 28
Packet Tracer Activities 28
Check Your Understanding Questions 28
Chapter 2 Basic Switching Concepts and Configuration 33
Key Terms 33
Introduction (18.104.22.168) 35
Basic Switch Configuration (2.1) 36
Switch Boot Sequence (22.214.171.124) 36
Recovering from a System Crash (126.96.36.199) 37
Switch LED Indicators (188.8.131.52) 38
Preparing for Basic Switch Management (184.108.40.206) 40
Configuring Basic Switch Management Access with IPv4 (220.127.116.11) 41
Configure Switch Ports (2.1.2) 44
Duplex Communication (18.104.22.168) 44
Configure Switch Ports at the Physical Layer (22.214.171.124) 45
Duplex and Speed 45
Auto-MDIX (126.96.36.199) 46
Verifying Switch Port Configuration (188.8.131.52) 48
Network Access Layer Issues (184.108.40.206) 50
Other Things You Might Like
- Networking Essentials Companion Guide
- Book $72.00
- Networking Essentials Companion Guide
- eBook (Watermarked) $57.60