Register your product to gain access to bonus material or receive a coupon.
Telecommunications Technologies Reference
- Your Price: $32.00
- List Price: $40.00
- About Watermarked eBooks
- Copyright 2003
- Dimensions: 7-3/8" x 9-1/8"
- Edition: 1st
- eBook (Watermarked)
- ISBN-10: 1-58705-356-X
- ISBN-13: 978-1-58705-356-6
A comprehensive guide to North American and international telecommunications standards
- Complete reference for ITU standards
- Covers signaling methods and SS7 node types and infrastructures
- Elucidates E1 and R2 configuration and Japanese digital hierarchy
- Thoroughly covers the North American T3 and international E3 digital hierarchies, including information on how to get more bandwidth out of both
- Addresses T1 line coding and frame format schemes as well as implementation requirements
- Itemizes Frame Relay specifications and covers its functions and configuration
- Explains ATM and B-ISDN development and functionality
- Presents the DOCSIS initialization sequence, configurations, and topologies
- Explains the SMDS interface protocol, configuration, troubleshooting, and Data Exchange Interface (DXI)
- Covers xDSL architectures, encoding technologies, circuit attributes, and power levels
- Includes a detailed, thorough comparison of SONET and SDH technologies
Knowledge of telecommunications technologies such as DDS, ISDN, T1/E1, ATM, and SONET is critical in today's competitive IT job market. A comprehensive reference for IT engineers and managers working with WAN connectivity, Telecommunications Technologies Reference covers not only DDS, ISDN, T1, and other physical media but goes further to explain how their international counterparts work-much-needed information when working with today's global, sophisticated networks.
In addition to thoroughly explaining the practical applications of each of these technologies, Telecommunications Technologies Reference includes historical material on how and why each was designed and delves into the underlying principles that support the technologies. With its clear, logical organization, this valuable guide helps telecommunications professionals stay abreast of ever-evolving technologies and key new developments. "Expert whiteboards"-detailed sidebars written by seasoned industry professionals-impart advanced real-world information on major topics throughout the book. Chapter summaries and end-of-chapter review questions help reinforce important concepts and assess your comprehension level.
Whether you are an engineer seeking detailed information on routing data and voice communication, a student looking for an introductory overview of telecommunications resources, or a manager needing fundamental information on WAN technologies, Telecommunications Technologies Reference has all the information you need, collected neatly into one simple-to-reference book. This comprehensive resource will earn a place on your technical library bookshelf as a frequently referenced, indispensable telecommunications guide.
Table of Contents
1. An Overview of Analog communication.
Analog Introduction. Analog Signal Basics. Bandwidth and Signal Distortion. Analog Service Deployments. Summary. Review Questions.
2. The Signaling System 7 Network.
Signaling Introduction. SS7 Node Types. Signaling Types. Why SS7 Was Developed. Signaling Links and Link Sets. Point Codes. MTP. SS7 Upper-Layer Protocols. Intelligent Network (IN). Expert Whiteboard: LNP Operation in North America. Summary. Review Questions.
3. Analog-to-Digital Conversion.
Understanding Digital Communication. The Signal Conversion Process. Variations on the PCM Theme. Summary. Review Questions.
4. Digital Dataphone Service and Switched 56.
Introduction to DDS. DDS Operation. SW56. Circuit Testing Patterns. Configuring a Cisco Router for DDS/SW56. Summary. Review Questions.
5. T1 Technology.
T1 Physical Characteristics. T1 Line-Coding Schemes. T1 Framing and Formatting. T1 Troubleshooting. Configuring a T1 Controller. Summary. Review Questions.
6. E1, R2, and Japanese Carrier Technology.
E1 Introduction. E1 Physical Characteristics. E1 Framing. E1 Line Coding. Configuring an E1 Controller. R2 Signaling characteristics. R2 Configuration on a Cisco E1 Controller. JDH. Summary. Review Questions.
7. T3 and E3 Technology.
T3 Technology. E3 Technology. Beyond the X3 Barrier. Summary. Review Questions.
8. Integrated Services Digital Network.
The ISDN Network. ISDN Specifications. BRI. PRI. Summary. Review Questions.
9. Frame Relay.
The History of Frame Relay. Frame Relay specifications. Frame Relay Functionality. Frame Relay Configuration on Cisco Devices. Summary. Review Questions.
10. ATM and B-ISDN.
The Development of ATM and B-ISDN. ATM Functionality. ATM Header Components. The B-ISDN Reference Model and ATM. QoS. Traffic Parameters. ATM Service Classes. Traffic Management. AAL Types. Expert White Board: ATM QoS. Summary. Review Questions.
11. Switched Multimegabit Data Service.
History of SMDS. SMDS Features. SIP. DXI. Internetworking LAN Protocols over SMDS. Configuring SMDS. Resolving SMDS Problems. The Demise of SMDS. Summary. Review Questions.
History of DSL. DSL Encoding Technologies. ADSL Components. DSL Circuit Attributes. DSL Modem Train-Up and Framing. Power Levels in DSL Services. DSL Technologies. DSL Circuit Concerns. DSL Network Architectures. Summary. References and Standards. Review Questions.
13. Cable Modem Technology and CATV.
The Cable Plant. DOCSIS: The Cable Modem Standard. DOSIS Cable Modem Initialization Sequence. Binary DOCSIS Configuration Files. Security and Baseline Privacy. Fiber Node Combining. Cable IP Network Topologies. The Future of Cable e IP Networks. Summary. Resources. Review Questions.
14. SONET and SDH.
Synchronous Review. Optical Hardware. Comparison of SONET and SDH Hierarchies. OAM&P. WDM and DWDM. SONET/SDH Applications. Summary. Review Questions.
Appendix A: Answers to Review Questions.
Appendix B: Signaling Area Network Code (SANC) Designations.
Appendix C: Bibliography.
Other Things You Might Like
- Synchronizing 5G Mobile Networks
- Book $55.99
- Synchronizing 5G Mobile Networks
- eBook (Watermarked) $44.79
- CCNP Collaboration Call Control and Mobility CLACCM 300-815 Official Cert Guide Premium Edition and Practice Test
- Premium Edition eBook $55.99