- 5 Steps to Building and Operating an Effective Security Operations Center (SOC)
- Dec 21, 2015
- Joseph Muniz, co-author of Security Operations Center: Building, Operating, and Maintaining Your SOC, provides a high-level overview of the steps involved in creating a security operations center to protect your organization's valuable data assets.
- Overview of Security Operations Center Technologies
Joseph Muniz, Nadhem AlFardan, Gary McIntyre
- Dec 15, 2015
- This chapter from Security Operations Center: Building, Operating, and Maintaining your SOC focuses on the technology and services associated with most modern SOC environments, including an overview of best practices for data collection, how data is processed so that it can be used for security analysis, vulnerability management, and some operation recommendations.
- Cisco ASA Access Lists Concepts and Configuration
- Jun 27, 2013
- Sean Wilkins review Cisco’s Adaptive Security Appliance (ASA) implementation of access control lists (ACL or access list). He also covers ASA access list types, what they control, and a basic review of what the configuration syntax is to use them.
- Cisco ASA Basic Internet Protocol Inspection
- Jun 27, 2013
- In this article, Sean Wilkins covers some of the common Internet protocol inspection features that can be enabled (or are enabled by default) on the Cisco ASA.
- Authentication and Authorization Policies: Using Cisco Identity Services Engine in a BYOD World
Jamey Heary, Aaron Woland
- Jun 25, 2013
- This chapter examines the relationship between authentication and authorization and how to build policies for each, describing a few common Authentication Policies and Authorization Policies to help you see how to work with these policy constructs.
- Cisco NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Unified Fabric
Ron Fuller, David Jansen, Matthew McPherson
- Apr 26, 2013
- This chapter shows the basic Nexus 5x00 and Nexus 7000 configurations necessary to provide a Unified access method for LAN data traffic and SAN storage traffic.
- Securing Overlay Transport Virtualization (OTV) with Cisco TrustSec (CTS)
- Apr 25, 2013
- Ron Fuller shows just how easy it is to take advantage of MACSEC and AES128 bit encryption on your Cisco Nexus 7000 series switches.
- Creating Your Own VPN
- Oct 23, 2012
- Security expert Eric Geier shows you how to set up a VPN to securely access your PC or network when you’re away, and to secure your Internet connection when using Wi-Fi hotspots.
- Cisco IronPort ESA Web User Interface
- Apr 25, 2012
- This chapter covers the layout and workflow of the web user interface used for the administration of the Email Security Appliance (ESA).
- Protecting Your Network from the Wi-Fi Protected Setup Security Hole
- Mar 12, 2012
- Even if you’ve encrypted and secured your wireless network with Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA or WPA2), a security hole affecting most wireless routers may make it fairly easy for those with the right tools to hack your network and connect. Eric Geier shows how to prevent this and protect your network.
- Network Security First-Step: Firewalls
Donald Stoddard, Thomas M. Thomas
- Feb 8, 2012
- This chapter dissects a firewall’s duties to understand what makes a firewall operate and how it does its job.
- ZigBee Wireless Security: A New Age Penetration Tester's Toolkit
- Jan 9, 2012
- Brad Bowers takes a closer look at the ZigBee protocol, some of the attacks that have been leveraged against it, and the security tools that penetration testers can use.
- Prevent Wi-Fi Eavesdroppers from Hijacking Your Accounts
- Sep 20, 2011
- Eric Geier shows you how to protect your privacy when logging on to online accounts that don't always use secure connections, like Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, and Amazon.
- 2011 Collegiate Cyber Defense Challenge: Shaping the Cyber Warriors of Tomorrow
- May 2, 2011
- Brad Bowers provides an intriguing look into the 2011 Mid-Atlantic CCDC attack-and-defense competition for information technology students.
- PKI Processes and Procedures
Andre Karamanian, Francois Dessart, Srinivas Tenneti
- Apr 1, 2011
- Several processes need to occur in a PKI network for a deployment to function smoothly. To address these processes, this chapter covers enrollment, Certificate Expiration and Renewal, Certificate Verification and Enforcement, and PKI Resiliency.
- Firesheep, Fireshepherd, and Facebook: Understanding Session Hijacking
- Feb 22, 2011
- Mike Chapple shows you how web authentication makes session hijacking possible, how Firesheep exploits these vulnerabilities, and the measures that website administrators, web developers, and end users can take to protect against session hijacking attacks.
- Cisco Secure Access Control System (ACS) 5.2 and User Change Password (UCP)
- Feb 14, 2011
- This article teaches you how to use the User Change Password (UCP) service in Cisco ACS to allow users defined in the ACS internal database to first authenticate themselves and then change their own password.
- Q&A with the Authors of "AAA Identity Management Security"
Premdeep Banga, Brandon J. Carroll, Vivek Santuka
- Feb 7, 2011
- The authors of AAA Identity Management Security discuss the book and its features.
- Cisco AAA Identity Management Security: Getting Familiar with ACS 5.1
Brandon J. Carroll, Premdeep Banga, Vivek Santuka
- Feb 2, 2011
- ACS 5.1 has a completely different user interface from ACS 4.2. Throughout the course of this chapter you will become familiar with the GUI and know where different functions are located.
- Computer Incident Response and Product Security: Operating an Incident Response Team
- Dec 17, 2010
- This chapter covers aspects of running an incidence response team (IRT) such as team size, team member profiles, cooperating with other groups, preparing for incidents, and measuring success.