Check Your Understanding Questions
Complete all the review questions listed here to test your understanding of the topics and concepts in this chapter. The appendix, “Answers to the ‘Check Your Understanding’ Questions,” lists the answers.
Which three options correctly associate the command with the paired behavior? (Choose three.)
- switchport port-security violation protect: Frames with unknown source addresses are dropped and a notification is sent.
- switchport port-security violation restrict: Frames with unknown source addresses are dropped and no notification is sent.
- switchport port-security violation shutdown: Frames with unknown source addresses result in the port becoming error-disabled, and a notification is sent.
- switchport port-security mac-address sticky: Allows dynamically learned MAC addresses to be stored in the running-configuration.
- switchport port-security maximum: Defines the number of MAC addresses associated with a port.
What is the effect of entering the following command on a Fast Ethernet switch port?
SW1(config-if)# duplex full
- The connected device communicates in two directions, but only one direction at a time.
- The switch port returns to its default configuration.
- If the device connected to this port is also set for full duplex, the device participates in collision-free communication.
- The efficiency of this configuration is typically rated at 50 to 60 percent.
- The connected device should be configured as half duplex.
Which two tasks does autonegotiation in an Ethernet network accomplish? (Choose two.)
- Sets the link speed
- Sets the IP address
- Sets the link duplex mode
- Sets MAC address assignments on switch port
- Sets the ring speed
Why should a default gateway be assigned to a switch?
- So that there can be remote connectivity to the switch via such programs as Telnet and ping
- So that frames can be sent through the switch to the router
- So that frames generated from workstations and destined for remote networks can pass to a higher level
- So that other networks can be accessed from the command prompt of the switch
The network administrator wants to configure an IP address on a Cisco switch. How does the network administrator assign the IP address?
- In privileged EXEC mode
- On the switch interface FastEthernet0/0
- On the management VLAN
- On the physical interface connected to the router or next-hop device
Which option correctly associates the Layer 2 security attack with the description?
- MAC address flooding: Broadcast requests for IP addresses with spoofed MAC addresses.
- DHCP starvation: Using proprietary Cisco protocols to gain information about a switch.
- CDP attack: The attacker fills the switch MAC address table with invalid MAC addresses.
- Telnet attack: Using brute force password attacks to gain access to a switch.
What is an advantage of using SSH over Telnet when remotely connecting to a switch?
- More connection lines
- Connection-oriented services
- Username and password authentication
Consider the configuration. Which two commands are not needed on the switch in order for a remote network administrator to access the switch using SSH?
- Switch(config)# ip domain-name mydomain.com
- Switch(config)# crypto key generate rsa
- Switch(config)# ip ssh version 2
- Switch(config)# line vty 0 15
- Switch(config-if)# transport input ssh
What is an advantage of having the correct date and time on a network device?
- Network administrators are provided with correct timestamps on log messages.
- When working at the console prompt, the network administrator has a good idea how long the configuration or troubleshooting process is taking.
- Other devices can use CDP to discover neighbor device information if the time and date are synchronized between the two devices.
- Secure remote connectivity can be accomplished if the date and time are accurate.
What is the purpose of DHCP snooping?
- Ensures devices are configured for automatic IP address assignment
- Prevents unauthorized DHCP servers
- Prevents DHCP messages from going across a trunk
- Prevents DHCP messages from being sent to another network
What is a Cisco best practice for deploying switches?
- When a server connects to a switch, the switch port should have the port speed manually configured, but the autonegotiation feature used for duplex.
- A compound word should be used as a password on an infrastructure network device such as a switch.
- Telnet should be used whenever possible on the switch vty lines.
- The enable secret password should be used when configuring a switch to use SSH on the vty lines.
When would auto-MDIX be best to use?
- When a switch connects to a router
- When a switch connects to another switch
- When any device connects to an access layer switch
- When the cable type is unknown