Upon completion of this chapter, you will be able to answer the following questions:
- How do networks affect the way we interact, learn, work and play?
- How do networks support communication?
- What is a converged network?
- What are the four basic requirements of a reliable network?
- What are the uses of various network devices?
- How do the devices and topologies found in a LAN compare to those found in a WAN?
- What is the basic structure of the Internet?
- How do LANs and WANs connect to the Internet?
- What impact do BYOD, online collaboration, video, and cloud computing have on a business network?
- How are networking technologies changing the home environment?
- What are some basic security threats and solutions to both small and large networks?