Upon completion of this chapter, you will be able to answer the following questions:
- What are the steps a switch takes after power is applied?
- What is the function of the boot loader if the operating system is corrupt or missing?
- How might the switch LEDs help with troubleshooting?
- What are the steps taken to configure a Cisco switch with an IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway?
- What interface is used to apply an IP address to a Cisco switch?
- What functionality is available once a switch has an IP address and default gateway?
- What type of customization can be applied to a switch port?
- What tools can be used to troubleshoot a Layer 1 or 2 problem?
- What steps are required to configure a switch for SSH access?
- What are some common security attacks that affect switches?
- What mitigation tools could be used on a Cisco switch to prevent or react to a security attack?
- What are best practices for switch security?
- What steps are required to configure switch security?
- What is the purpose of NTP?