To implement a basic Linksys router, perform the following tasks:
- Obtain the connection information required by your ISP.
- Plug the router into the service provider device or network jack using the external/WAN interface of the router.
- Connect a computer that is configured to be a DHCP client to one of the switch ports on the router.
- Turn the router on.
- Turn the computer on. The computer should automatically obtain an IP address from the router, allowing it to connect to the router.
- Using a web browser, connect to the router's internal network interface IP address, typically http://192.168.1.1. When prompted, enter the default username (admin) and password (admin).
- At the Setup tab, configure the router using the information from Step 1.
- At the Management screen of the Administration tab, enter a new password.
- At this point, the router should allow all traffic to external destinations, while blocking access to all internal resources from external sources.
- If you require filtering, define the appropriate port-range forwarding (for ingress filtering) or filtering (for egress filtering) rules as needed.
- Test connectivity to external resources from internal systems, and to internal systems as defined by the port-forwarding rules from external systems.